Determining the right time to harvest magic mushrooms can be a little tricky and challenging, especially if this is your first time. For you to enjoy the many benefits and awesome effects of shrooms or magic mushrooms, it is essential that you know the best ways to harvest them. Following specific steps is necessary to ensure that you will be able to harvest magic mushrooms successful. And it is the goal of this article to shed light on the best ways or methods of harvesting magic mushrooms.
Magic mushrooms are easier to harvest when they grow at the same rate and size, however, this is not always the case. You will notice that there are shrooms that look smaller than the others. Because of the different sizes of shrooms, determining which one is ripe for harvest can be quite complicated. Considering some few important pointers is a must before you start harvesting them.
You will notice that there are large magic mushrooms and there are also medium and small-sized shrooms which need more time to grow. Some first-time magic mushroom growers pick the large shrooms first and then harvest the small and medium-sized ones – thinking that the smaller ones are still growing and developing. However, this is a wrong practice. Harvesting larger magic mushrooms while leaving the smaller size ones is not advisable since this will not increase your harvest. Moreover, you are risking contamination of your magic mushroom grow kit.
When is the Best Time to Harvest Shrooms?
The best time for you to harvest your precious shrooms is when their hats have not yet fully opened and you can still see that they have a nice round head. You can also harvest your shrooms or magic mushrooms before the veil breaks. The normal veil breaking time is between 6 to 13 days after seeing the first mushrooms pins popping up from the grow medium or substrate. But of course, this all depends on the strain or variety of magic mushroom. Factors such as temperature, air, and humidity play a big role as well.
Harvesting the shrooms before the veil breaks are advisable since this is the time when the matured mushroom are thinking about their next generation. And so they start releasing spores from the gills – this is where reproduction starts to happen. If you want to make sure that the shrooms that you have harvested are potent, then make sure that you count their age. Take note that the small immature magic mushrooms are proven to be more potent compared to larger shrooms.
If you are planning to make spore print syringe, then it is essential that you harvest or pick the magic mushroom before they start releasing spores. These spores will help you preserve the strain and can be used for further cultivation. For magic mushrooms growers who are planning to cultivate and not consume shrooms, the best time to harvest is when that cap has fully opened. Wait for the cap to form into an umbrella-like shape. This should happen a few days after the veil has broken.
Can’t wait for your shrooms’ harvesting time? Order the finest dried shrooms and other magic mushroom products here!
Best Way to Harvest Shrooms
- Make sure that you do your research first and acquire more knowledge regarding the sizes and maturity of magic mushrooms. Of course, you also need to make sure first that what you are harvesting is indeed magic mushrooms. Remember that there are mushrooms that are poisonous
- It is also essential that you be careful when harvesting magic mushrooms and make sure that you avoid contamination and infection. Once an infection takes place, your magic mushroom grow kit will become useless or unusable. Be sure that you avoid cross-contamination at all cost. This is why you are encouraged to work in a sterile and hygienic environment.
- Wash your hands before you proceed with the harvesting. And make sure that you only use top quality antibacterial soap.
- It is also recommended that you use sterile gloves when harvesting. Don’t recycle the gloves but make sure that you are using new ones everytime you harvest.
- You will then remove the container out from the bag.
- Be very careful when grabbing the mushrooms. Use your two fingers and grat it at the bottom of the stem.
- It is also necessary that you gently turn the stem and then pull it upwards out from the grow medium or substrate.
- Don’t worry if you will see some damage to the substrate since this is typical. What matters most is that you stay careful and keep the environment sterile at all cost.
- As much as possible, you need to avoid breathing in the kit. Keep in mind that your breath is full of bacteria that can contaminate your mushroom grow kit.
- Ask for advice from your fellow magic mushroom growers regarding their best harvest practices. Listening to the advice of other growers will help widen your knowledge regarding harvesting magic mushrooms.