According to many avid users, shrooms are one of the safest recreational drugs available in the world today. This claim is backed up by medical researches and surveys, further cementing the reputation of shrooms in a drug culture.
The recent 2017 Global Drug Survey reported that out of 10,000 people who were made to take shrooms, less than 0.5% of the volunteers were rushed for an emergency medical treatment. The result, however, does not take away the fact that shrooms contain psilocybin, which is considered an illegal substance in the U.S and Canada.
Psilocybin and the Psychedelic Effects of Shrooms
Shrooms have psychedelic effects because they contain psilocybin. It is a naturally occurring chemical compound that turns into psilocin when absorbed by the body. Both of them cause feel-good experiences, euphoria, and changes in sensory perception when taken.
Shrooms are declared to be non-physically addictive. However, taking them within very short intervals may result in a build-up of tolerance. Tolerance of the substance can be risky because it can trigger intakes of higher dosages, which may lead to abuse and psychological addiction.
An effective way of countering tolerance is to simply break the habit and stop using shrooms for a while. This will give the body a chance to adjust back to the normal dose.
Possible Scenarios of Mushroom Overdose
There are not too many reports on cases of psilocybin or magic mushroom overdose. They are rare, but yes, they happen. This usually occurs when the users are not familiar or underestimate the potency of the mushroom they have ingested. Other cases involve mushroom toxicity from consuming the wrong kind of mushroom. Poisonous mushrooms and psychedelic mushrooms are sometimes hard to tell apart.
Dosage is the primary factor in shroom overdose. The amount or dose is dependent on the potency of the shroom used. Different species of shrooms have different strength. Fresh mushrooms are also more potent than dried ones. Fresh shrooms are strongest after they are picked and tend to lose some of their potency the longer they are stored.
One of the most common and most used species of shroom is the Psilocybe Cubensis. The average or ideal dose for this kind of shroom is around 1 – 2.5 grams. Taking 5 grams of it is considered too much and may result in an overdose.
Physical and Psychological Effects of Shroom Overdose
Mushroom overdose has physical and psychological effects. Dying because of the intake of shrooms is not very likely, but their side effects can be deadly.
Physical manifestations of mushroom overdose include rapid heartbeat, struggled breathing, muscle spasms, fever and elevated temperature, headaches, nausea and vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and even coma.
Some of the psychological effects are somewhat similar to the ones observed when a person is having a “bad trip” such as depression, panic attacks, and anxiety. More adverse effects are suicidal tendencies, paranoia, delirium, psychosis, and schizophrenic-like behaviors.
In cases of toxic mushrooms mistaken for psychedelic ones, the consequences can be dire. Determining the timing of the symptoms help measure the severity of the poisoning. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea experienced within the first five hours of consumption are symptoms of a less severe poisoning, while abdominal pains, vomiting, and diarrhea after five hours of ingestion can potentially put the person’s life at risk. Suspected poisoning due to mushroom use needs immediate medical treatment.
Mushroom poisoning is the reason why users are advised against picking their own shrooms unless they are highly knowledgeable in terms of identifying edible from non-edible ones. Even the ones purchased from Dark Web dealers need to be checked just to make sure. It is always better to be careful than sorry.
Important Things to Note When Taking Psychedelic Mushrooms
The effects of magic mushrooms are unexpected and unpredictable. They can vary from “trip” to trip. There is no surefire way of ensuring that the ensuing experience would be pleasant but there are controllable conditions that can help prevent “bad trips.”
Only take the psychedelics when in a fairly good mood. The shrooms’ ability to heighten emotions can make good moods even better but it can also worsen sour dispositions and turn them into “bad trips.”
The kind of environment where they are taken also plays a part. Loud, stuffy, and irritable conditions can affect the quality of the experience and even pose danger to the user. A quiet, peaceful, and calm environment is the ideal setting for the “trips” to take place.
The “experience” is best experienced with someone trustworthy. Avoid taking magic mushrooms alone. There is no telling how things would go or how the substance will affect the body and the brain; it is always better to stay on the side of caution.