When taking a look at mushrooms, most people will think of it as something that is incorporated in food. Mushrooms can be a great addition to some of your most favorite recipes. But you have to know that there are some mushrooms that are used not just to fill your stomach but can also give you a great spiritual experience. These mushrooms are not your typical ones and they are known as magic mushrooms.
Magic mushrooms are known to be psychedelic. If you have fresh magic mushrooms then they are best eaten right away. But you also have to know that magic mushrooms that are dried can last for years. Despite its dried form, magic mushrooms will not lose its potency. If you fail to dry shrooms then they can start to mold. When drying magic mushrooms, remember that applying excessive heat to it can lessen its potency. You have to know though that drying magic mushrooms is not really rocket science as the process can be very easy.
The Pre-Drying Phase
After you have harvested your magic mushrooms then they are prime for drying right away. When you noticed that the veils have broken from the caps then it is the best time to harvest them. Once the pins have appeared then you have 5-12 days for the veils to break. The moment that veils breaks are the time when the caps will open. It is during this time when the potency of your mushrooms is at its highest thus the best time to harvest them as well. After you have harvested your magic mushrooms then they are prime for drying right away. The main goal of pre-drying is to make sure that the excess moisture will be removed from the fresh mushrooms. You have to know that magic mushrooms are made of 95% water and this is the reason why they don’t stay fresh for too long.
Method 1: You can place the magic mushroom on a plate. You need to cover it with a piece of black cloth. You need to make sure that you will place the plate on a sunny window where there is good ventilation.
Method 2: If the weather won’t cooperate and there is no sun around, then you can choose to fan blow your magic mushrooms.
Regardless of the method that you will be using, pre-drying will make your mushrooms feel dry in just a few hours. The mushrooms will feel rubbery and wrinkled once this process is done. Pre-dry also makes your mushroom ready for short-term storage. A magic mushroom that has been pre-dried can last for several weeks.
How to Create Your Very Own Desiccant
A desiccant is a material is the one that you need to absorb moisture. One of the most common desiccants that you will see is the silica gels. These are the materials that you will mostly see in packages and are used in industrial packages and preserved foods. Silica gels can cost you and that is why an efficient and cost-effective way is to create your very own. Desiccants can be very easy to make and so you don’t have to worry a thing. What you need to have though when making your own desiccant are an Epsom salt, a hammer, a baking tray, an airtight container, and an oven.
- The first thing that you need to do is to spread the Epsom salt in the tray. Make sure that it is even around 1cm deep.
- What you need to do next is to preheat the oven at around 250 degrees Celsius. Place the tray inside the oven with the Epsom salt at about 2 hours. This will help in removing any dampness in the salts.
- The next thing that you need to do so to remove the tray with the Epsom salt from the oven. Make sure that you will work fast since the Epsom salt will absorb moisture in the air the moment that it has been exposed. Don’t wait for the tray to cool down. You can break the salt into smaller pieces with a hammer. After the salts have been heated then it will become one solid material so you need to break them apart.
- Once you have broken them down into smaller parts then you need to place them inside an airtight container. You need to do this while they are still hot. You now have a ready to use desiccant at your hands.
Drying Your Shrooms Using Your Homemade Desiccant
You now can start drying you magic mushrooms using your homemade desiccant. What you need in order to accomplish this one is a plastic container with an airtight cover, paper towels as well as a metal mesh.
- The first thing that you need to do is to spread the desiccant on the plastic container. You need to have a container that is large enough for you to spread the desiccant all over. The desiccant will serve as a bottom layer.
- You now need to cover the desiccant using your paper towel. Do this as fast as you can to prevent the desiccant from getting exposed to any room air.
- You need to bend your metal mesh on the sides so that your magic mushroom will stand above the paper towel. This will keep your magic mushroom touching the desiccant. Once done, you can now place the mushrooms on top of the metal mesh.
- It is now time to close the container. See to it that it is airtight. The desiccant will act right away and remove any moisture left in the mushrooms.
- See to it that you are able to dry the mushrooms nice and slow. For this very reason that you need to check on them every now and then. You need to achieve a mushroom that is cracker dry. You can better check once you will touch them but do it sparingly. The ideal dryness is achieved by you e your mushrooms will break when you will touch them. Once you have achieved this one then you need to make sure that you will keep them in Ziploc bags for long-term storage.